A. Edgar Martin
A. Edgar Martin, the son of Valsin Martin and Azelie Guidry, was born in St. Martin Parish on Nov. 17, 1841. He was educated by private tutors and later attended St. Charles College in Grand Coteau, LA. After serving in the Confederate Army, he married Julie Martin in 1863. They became the parents of nine children: Claude, Aline (Mrs. E.B. Arceneaux), Edgar, Azelie (Mrs. Alcee Mouton), Julie (Mrs. J.B. Mouton), Ellen (Mrs. Edmond Mouton), Louise (Mrs. F.M. Latiolais), Laure Marie and Gabriel. All are now deceased.
Martin began his career in education by teaching in a private school near Scott. In 1872, he became the Superintendent of Education and set out to revive the poorly attended public schools in the parish. During his tenure, he established the first teachers institute in the parish. He served as Superintendent until the fall of 1887.
He died in Lafayette Parish on Apr. 3, 1892. The Edgar Martin School in Lafayette was named in his honor.
Early in 1882, Charles D. Caffery was President of the Board. It could not be established how long he served.
No record could be found of a Superintendent of Education during 1888.